Tuesday, January 14, 2014

First Paragraph, Tuesday Teaser -- Elegance

Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
Better late than never, I'm posting from my current read, Elegance by Kathleen Tessaro.
I was reading a book that had some horrible, cruel scenes in it (see my teaser from last Tuesday) and I didn't stop reading in time to keep those scenes out of my head. So I quickly needed to turn to a book guaranteed to make me smile. I've been reading a lot of Kathleen Tessaro since I read The Perfume Collector, so I knew she would distract me.
This novel is basically about an American woman who wanted to be an actor. She married a British man and five years in finds herself truly depressed and working in a box office. She finds a used book about elegance and recreates her life based on the instructions of the book. I'm enjoying it.
Here's the first paragraph.
It is a freezing cold night in February and my husband and I are standing outside of the National Portrait Gallery in Trafalgar Square.
The opening may not be very catchy, but the book is a terrific escape.

Also this week  is Teaser Tuesdays. Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Open to a random page of your current read  and share a teaser sentence from somewhere on that page. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your tease.
Here's a teaser from page 301:
"So you think you can just sleep with me and then bugger off without a trace!" Eddie grins. "Cup of tea please, while you're at it. Chop. Chop! My audience is waiting!"
He's wearing a tea towel on his head and has a large faded blue travel rug wrapped around his body.
I look forward to seeing what everyone else is reading.

5 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Sounds like this book was much needed relief! I would keep reading, I think, based on the description of the book and the opening statement.

Kathy Martin said...

Sounds interesting. I'm not familiar with the author. My teasers this week come from The Girl Is Murder by Kathryn Miller Haines and To Dance With the Devil. Happy reading!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Not my kind of read but I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for joining us this week.

Nise' said...

It is great to discover a new to you author and search out their other books.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

This one sounds delightful. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...