Sunday, July 21, 2013

Dreaming of France -- Arc de Triomphe and The Tourist


Please join this weekly meme. Grab a copy of the photo above and link back to An Accidental Blog. Share with the rest of us your passion for France. Did you read a good book set in France? See a movie? Take a photo in France? Have an adventure? Eat a fabulous meal or even just a pastry? Or if you're in France now, go ahead and lord it over the rest of us. We can take it.
Maybe we can all satisfy our yearnings for France, until we get there again.

Today was the last day of the Tour de France. I love watching it on television so I get a little glimpse of France every day. The last stage in Paris took place in the evening so they could include a light show. The sun had a hard time complying though, as it seemed to stay up til 10 Paris time. Chris Froome, a Brit, won the Tour and he seems like a nice enough guy.
Once it finally got dark, the organizers cast lights onto the Arc de Triomphe behind the podium.
Here's a copy of a photo from the Daily Mail in the UK.
And here's a link to part of the show. It's definitely worth watching if you didn't see it.
Also this week, I saw a movie that at least began in Paris. It's called The Tourist and stars Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie. Have you seen it? The scenery in Paris just feels so French! And then they take the train to Venice, so what's not to like it?
Jolie is gorgeous and Depp does so well playing a math teacher from Wisconsin. I'd never think he could play an ordinary character. 
Here's Jolie in a Paris cafe from a blog post called The Collider.

And here she is walking on a Paris street. Doesn't she look elegant, a throw back to the women in the Cary Grant movies of the 1950s.
I'm still participating in Paris in July hosted by Thyme for Tea and Bookbath.


14 comments:

Esme said...

Angelina looks great.

Linda said...

I thought The Tourist was a horrible movie but I watched it for the scenes from Paris and Venice. Angelina Jolie seems so stiff and proper now in every movie she makes but she sure looks good.

Just Me said...

The pictures of the Tour are just beautiful (and grand, as they should be).

Would you recommend the Tourist ?

Paulita said...

I thought the movie was fun, especially Johnny Depp's character and the scenery. We saw it on Saturday afternoon TV, so you can probably find it on TV now.

Jackie McGuinness said...

Oh my! Doesn't she look elegant!

Dianne said...

Yes it's a great movie especially the scenes shot in Paris .... So French So Chic!

"All Things French"

Virginia said...

Le Tour de France is over and now i'm sad. no more French countryside to watch every day! The return to Paris was glorious!
V

Louise said...

Thanks so much for posting the video of the light show, as even though I'm in Paris I didn't know that they were going to do that. I watched the final Paris laps from the Rue de Rivoli! It was such an exciting atmosphere, and lovely to be there, but I would have made my way to the Arc if I'd known, I was presuming that they'd do fireworks with the twilight finish. I've not seen The Tourist, and not the greatest fan of Angelina, although I suspect she does look much more glamorous than I do sitting at cafes.

Sim Carter said...

That light show was extraordinary; I love how it played out against the Arc d'Triomphe!
Btw, The Tourist is available to downstream on Amazon.com; I will have to check out Johnny, er the scenery too.

Joy said...

What lovely glimpses of Paris you're getting!

Joy's Book Blog

Joy said...

What lovely glimpses of Paris you're getting!

Joy's Book Blog

Alexa said...

That movie wasn't exactly a masterpiece, but it had Paris, it had Venice, and it had Johnny Depp—so who cares whether it was good or not? :~}

Jeanie said...

Wasn't that conclusion of the tour spectacular? I was so impressed by all the award presentation. Thanks for posting the link -- I want to share it with Rick who had to miss it!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Yes Not sure about the film The tourist , too be honest I cannot watch Angelina Jolie ,, stiff boring and dull.

But I would of loved to have been there for the final part of Tour de France , how amazing is that and at night too :-)

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...