Sunday, June 10, 2012

Risque Pasta

I'm always on the lookout for a new pasta shape. Those Italians, or those marketers, whoever come up with the different shapes, intrigue me.
I found a bag I'd never seen before at Trader Joe's. The pasta was called orecchiette. I've heard this pasta advertised at The Olive Garden and they say something like or-uh-k-etty. The word, I guess, means ear and I could see these as little ear shaped pasta, until I cooked them.
The little cup shaped pastas stacked up and stuck together to form long columns. And from the top, they looked like circumcised penises.
From the side, they still looked like the top of circumcised penises.

When I was searching for pasta to make pasta salad for the graduation party, Trader Joe's was out of the farfalle I wanted to buy. The woman at the register suggested I try the orecchiette.
"Oh, no," I said. "I've tried those before."
When I told her my opinion on the shape, she just laughed and suggested I had too many boys in my life.
Now that's a true statement.

4 comments:

Alyce said...

Hilarious! I've seen orecchiette, and it's one of my favorite Italian words - it's just fun to say. :) I've never seen them all stacked up before. I had to laugh at that one.

Harvee said...

That pasta is a little embarassing.

Trish said...

Haha so true! They are a little . . . odd looking, aren't they?!

aguja said...

Love this post ... and yes, they are a little obvioust looking. A fun post to read though!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...