Sunday, October 23, 2011

Why Saturday Was a Good Day

Not to discount the 10 miles we ran in the fog on Saturday morning, but the day took a turn for the fabulous around 11:45 when I sat down at a quasi-French restaurant with my husband.

He got the bread; I got the mimosa.
Then we ordered just an appetizer, but, oh, what an appetizer.


Brie fondue with apples, broccoli, carrots and chunks of hard bread to dip. My favorites are the apples. Or maybe the broccoli.
I scraped the bottom of the crock and blew out the little candle so it didn't char the remnants of cheese.
We've tried to make brie fondue at home but it is never as good as the fondue at Bon Vie. (Yes, the French teacher rails at the name. Couldn't they have spelled it Bonne Vie?)
I finished with a tiny cup of espresso then walked outside to this sparkling day where the fog had blown away.

It looks fake, as these "hometown" mall developments are supposed to. Rather Disneyesque, but sometimes it's okay to suspend belief, to enjoy a brie fondue and mimosa, and make believe I'm not in central Ohio.

3 comments:

Linda said...

That fondue looks fabulous!

aguja said...

Fantastic! It is grerat when a day throws out surprises such as wonderful food followed by equally good weather. You decribe it well - I could almost taste the fondue.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Sound like a perfect treat after your long run.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...