Tuesday, October 04, 2011

First Paragraph Tuesday -- Best Staged Plans


Every Tuesday, Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of her current read. Anyone can join in. Go to Diane's website for the image and share the first paragraph of the current book you are reading.
Teaching seven college courses right now, I barely have time to breathe, much less read anything other than essays, so I picked up what I hope will be a quick, breezy read. Claire Cook's Best Staged Plans. She's the author of Must Love Dogs. The main character Sandy is a stager whose daughter recently married and moved to Atlanta, while Sandy's son finished college and moved back home. Sandy goes to Atlanta to stage a hotel, hoping she'll have time with her daughter, but instead getting to know her new son-in-law. Here's the first graph:
Okay, so I accidentally wrapped my reading glasses in one of the packages I mailed.
"It could have happened to anyone," I said to my daughter Shannon.
"Wow, that's pretty lame. Even for you, Mom." The all-knowingness of her three and a half months of marriage reverberated through the phone line.
I ignored it. "If you get them, just mail them back, okay, honey?"
The minute life starts getting easier, your eyes go. So the time you once spent looking after your kids is now spent looking for you reading glasses. I hated that.

The eye doctor just told me that I need reading glasses when I have my contacts in, but I do hate the idea of everyone at the restaurant pulling out their glasses to see the menu.
What do you think? Would you keep reading?

7 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Sounds like a fun light read....so true as well...LOL

I doubt I'd have time for even this if I was teaching 7 classes! enjoy

Harvee said...

Seven classes! Glad you have time for reading as well! Good luck with the glasses and classes.

Lucia said...

I like it. I haven't got a book yet...too busy to read. I'm still reading sex with kings. Oh well.
I too need reading classes with my contacts. My prescription for contacts is -3.50. I'm near sighted when I take them out I can read fine!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Oh, I loved this book! And the reading glasses do play an intriguing role in the book.

Here's MY TT POST and
MY WEBSITE

JoAnn said...

Seven classes - OMG! I'm sure a nice light read would be all I could handle with a load like that... this sounds like it may be just the thing.

Vicki said...

I love Claire Cook so I'd definitely keep reading!
Here's Mine

Nise' said...

I've got this on my stacks. I got bifocals in my contact so I don't have to pull out reading glasses. Hope you are able to enjoy some reading time in between those classes!

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...