Saturday, August 06, 2011

Saturday Snapshot -- Windy Venice Memories

To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post on Alyce's blog At Home With Books. Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don’t post random photos that you find online.
Five years ago in the spring, we visited Venice. It was just a day long trip while we waited for the night train to take us to the south of France.

The sky was cloudy and the weather chilly. You can see the clouds scuttling across the sky. We visited San Marco Square and ducked in a cafe for some pizza.

One of the biggest arguments in Venice came when I refused to pay for a gondola ride for Tucker. It cost $90 and I told him he would want to come back with a girlfriend or wife. He shouted and moped. Even today he throws it up in my face. I should have paid the 90 bucks for the experience.

The boys pretended to throw each other off the bridges and shoulted out "No paparazzi" to the passing gondolas.
Who knows if we'll ever go back again as a family, but we'll always have that one day in Venice.

23 comments:

aguja said...

I have always wanted to visit Venice and your have captured the mood of an ancient city in your photographs.

Thanks too for the 'family remeniscence'!

Louise said...

Looks like a lovely day with wonderful memories.

Trish said...

If I ever get to Italy, one of the first things I'd want to do is eat some real pizza :)

Kaye said...

Amazing photos! Sometimes when it is cloudy you get a better photo - not so washed out and gives some atmosphere. Loved them!

Lisa@ButteryBooks said...

Love that gondola photo. I visited Venice as a backpacking college student and I cannot wait to go back with my husband and kids. I will start saving now for the gondola ride!

Unknown said...

Lovely story with the pictures. I especially love the bit about your son and the gondola ride - that made me laugh.

Carol said...

Wonderful photos of your trip.

Amazing views.

have a good week

carol

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Sometimes I think the best things about traveling are the photos we enjoy afterwards. Photos that bring back all kinds of memories, including those like your exchange with Tucker!

Thanks for sharing.

Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT

Wanda said...

Great photos but it was your refusal to pay $90 bucks for the gondola ride and your words of wisdom to your son that put a smile on this mom's face. ;)

Unknown said...

wow lovely pictures! and an answer to your question on my blog. I am in sweden stockholm. it is the swedish royal castle :))
have a lovely weekend!

Anonymous said...

Haven't been to Venice. Thanks for sharing your photo. As for a gondola ride, is that for one crossing? I might want to try it once.

Vicki said...

If I could visit anywhere in the world, my first pick would be Venice. I love your photos, thanks for sharing them!
Here's My Snapshot

Alyce said...

I love that first photo! I have only seen photos of the inside "streets" like the second one. I had no idea there were such beautiful buildings.

Irish said...

Venice is one of the many places on my list to visit. Thanks for sharing these amazing photos.

Cath said...

I've never been to Venice but hope to one day. These are stunning.

Unknown said...

These photos are beautiful! The buildings stand out almost better with the gray skies...I love the second pic with the gondola right in the middle. Wonderful!

Irene said...

$90 holy smoke, that's a lot of $$$$$$ no wonder Italy is in trouble. Great photos.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

These picture of Venice are awesome!

bermudaonion said...

Venice is one of the places I dream of visiting!

Linda said...

I love Venice but I refused to pay that much for a ride on the gondola too.

Raine said...

Oh, I hope when I the lotto, Venice will be one of the traveling places to go. :D Reminds me of "Chasing Liberty" movie. :D The second shot drew me in. ☺

gautami tripathy said...

Terrific photos!

Here is my Saturday Snapshot post!

Leslie (Under My Apple Tree) said...

I think I'm the only person on the planet that wasn't thrilled with Venice! But then, I had just come from Florence and I adored Florence.

The gondola ride was definitely overpriced but I'll admit it does give a different perspective of the city and in a way was worth the price. But don't tell your son that! He has plenty of time to enjoy it with a lady, and that will make it enchanting and memorable too.

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...