Monday, September 06, 2010

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

My heavy load of classes ends with finals this week. I have to turn in my grades and then Grace would like me to drive up to spend the weekend with her.
I can do that. I have the time, the transportation and even a little extra money to spend on hotels and gas.
Some people who have sent kids away to college say it is too soon. They say it will only make her more homesick if I go visit.
Next week will make three weeks since we left her in her dorm room.
Earl and I are going up to visit her the first weekend of October for family weekend, but that will be full of scheduled receptions and performances. It won't be down time, just hanging out with Grace.
Because I know her pretty well, I figure she is missing down time. She hasn't shared a room with anyone for this long except our French student Marie who came last summer. She would like to read a book and flip through mindless television channels.
And, of course, she'd like me to be there to take care of any decisions that have to be made, to remove that mantle from her shoulders for just a weekend.
When it comes time to say goodbye though, will there be tears and clinging?
What do you think? Should I stay or should I go?

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I say you should go, too soon they will be moving on with their own lives and won't need you as much. I feel like when they ask to spend time with you if its possible you should be there for them.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

I say go and here's my long reason why...:)
I keep in mind that the kids in college is a new rhythm where they lead in the dance. I follow clumsily and work to keep my "motherly tendencies" to a minimum. I go to visit whenever they ask and try not to step on their toes, starting many sentences with "would you like my thoughts". After a few departures, we know the sighs of goodbye will again be replaced with the smiles of hello. After a few times and it does get a bit easier.
Also (which I'm sure you know) one-on-one visits are juicier than family or parent visits. I feel them as a long hug. Like cuddling time when they were little, not so long ago. ;)
Whatever you decide, how wonderful that Grace would like to see you.
Love to you.

Anonymous said...

I say go BUT....what is YOUR "heart" saying? Go with it. Who cares what anyone else says or thinks, go with your heart. xo,Gina

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...