Sunday, June 07, 2009

Riches Galore


Sometimes people think about, if I won the lottery, or if I were rich, I would... People have all kinds of different answers. I'd shop at Whole Foods or I'd buy all the books I want. Some people want designer clothes and others want huge mansions.
Well,for me, I'll know I've made it when I can buy sufficient raspberries to satisfy myself and the kids. During raspberry season in June and September, I limit myself to buying two pints and I carefully separate them into bowls. We sprinkle them with sugar and pour some milk on them and eat them for dessert or breakfast. I usually pay $2 to $3 per pint, so that's $4 to $6 for a small bowl for each of us. Luckily, my husband is not a raspberrry fan so we don't have to share with him.
This week though, my ship came in. No, I didn't win the lottery or sell a book, but there must be a bumper raspberry crop because they were only $1 a pint at Kroger. I stocked up. Then I went back and stocked up again. Last night, preparing for the arrival of my parents, along with my brother and his family today, I bought some raspberries to mix with cantaloupe for a fruit salad. I love the contrast of the red berry against the melon. And Grace is making chocolate mousse and requested some raspberries as garnish along with the whipping cream.
Of course, now I'd better go get started on the shish-kebabs, chicken or steak with tomatoes, zuchinni, summer squash, peppers, onions and red potatoes.
And maybe I'll make one more trip to the store for more raspberries before the sale ends tomorrow. This week, I'm rich!

No comments:

Cockadoodle Doo or Cocorico?

 We stood in the middle of the road, having walked together 13 miles that day and Claudine grasped my forearm. "Mais non! It doesn'...